Friday, April 25, 2014

Schoolhouse Review Crew: Brinkman Adventures

Brinkman Adventures Review
We spend a LOT of time in the car, between errands, and music lessons, and trips to visit the grandparents and travelling with Daddy for his job . . . we're in the car a LOT. And for several years now, our sanity saver, when in the car, has been listening to some kind of audiobook or audio adventure pretty much any time we're in the car. Needless to say, while we have an awesome county library, and have built up a pretty good personal library of audios, we're still always looking for new things to listen to in the car!

So, we were excited to have the chance to review The Brinkman Adventures Season 2: Episodes 13-24 from The Brinkman Adventures.

Brinkman Adventures ReviewThe Brinkman Adventures are radio adventures that combine the adventures of a large family with mission stories. We received the CDs of Season 2. A case of 4 CDs with 3 episodes each, for a total of 12 episodes. Season 2 is available from the Brinkman Adventures website for a suggested donation of  $25, or $17 for the mp3 album.

While the stories are fiction, they are based on true mission stories and you can read about the real stories behind the adventures on the Brinkman website.

These are adventures for the whole family, but it should be noted that there were some episodes in Season 2 that had a "warning" about being too scary/intense for young children. So MOST of the stories are for the whole family.

In The Brinkman Adventures Season 2: Episodes 13-24 we followed the Brinkman family on adventures including chickens, a trucker strike, a crocodile, meeting a retired missionary who told amazing stories from his time in China and Hong Kong . . . and that was just the first disc!

When I asked Lexie and Ashlyn what they thought of these cds, they actually started telling me, really quickly, talking over top of each other, so I just started jotting it all down, here's the jist of what two 11 year olds thought of it all. . .

It's adventure . . . drama . . . death . . . excitement . . . hilarity . . . I like Ian especially!

I like the missionary stories, they're kinda cool, especially when they're exciting.

They're kinda stupid, but in a good way, an exciting way.

Hope's cute (side note: Hope is the youngest daughter!)

I like the girls, and Ian, he's kinda stupid but he makes the best stories.

I like the island one because it's not true, it didn't really happen . . . (that makes sense if you've heard the episode)

Ian should give his sister the camera for her birthday (another one that makes sense if you've heard the episode)

I asked how many stars they'd give these stories and Ashlyn gave them a 5 star review. Lexie, never one to do things halfway, declared them to be a 100 star review! I think that means they liked them ;-)

So that's what Lexie and Ashlyn thought . . . how about me? While I tend to not gush quite as effusively as my daughters, yes, I liked them too! Some of the audio stories we've listen to leave me rolling my eyes, but I enjoyed these right along with the kids! And while I love the old mission stories that I grew up hearing, I'm excited to have found these stories, that teach my kids, and remind me, that there are STILL amazing mission stories going on! If you're looking for some great stories to listen to with your kids, these are a great choice!

Visit Brinkman Adventures on Facebook.

Click to read Crew Reviews

All prices and information are accurate at time of posting.

Crew Disclaimer

No comments: