Today for the 5 Days of Homeschooling Essentials, I thought I'd see what my 10 year olds, homeschooled all their lives, think is essential. They came up with some really good ideas!
- You need to read a lot of REAL books, not stupid textbooks (can you tell she wasn't a fan of the time we reviewed a history textbook instead of using living books for history?)
- It needs to be fun.
- Field trips
- You need books, lots of books, therefore a library card . . . bookshelves . . . a place to PUT bookshelves . . .
- Parents need to go into it not thinking that they know everything, they need to want to learn with the kids.
- The parent has to want to do it.
- Parents need to know how to explain things to the kid.
I'd say they have it all figured out! I completely agree with all of those ideas!
To see what 80+ other homeschoolers think is essential this week, visit the Schoolhouse Review Crew Blog. Here's some of them:
Lisa @ Our Simple Kinda Life
Tabitha @ The Homeschool Four
Gwen @ Tolivers to Texas
Amy @ Counting Change. . . Again
Jacquelin @ A Stable Beginning
Gena @ I Choose Joy!
Adena @ AdenaF
Stacie @ Super Mommy to the Rescue
Jen @ Happy Little Homemaker