Monday, May 26, 2014

It's All About the Attitude!

Soon after dh moved to his current unit at the hospital, I noticed one of the "housekeeping staff" (I think they have some other, more "PC" title now, but I don't remember what it is). I first noticed her because she was whistling, and my cell phone's ring tone right now is someone whistling a tune, so I kind of glanced around to make sure it wasn't my phone. . . and then I was struck with what a great attitude she had to be whistling at work.

Because, quite frankly, I can't think of many "good sides" to cleaning a hospital, shudder! She's been here close to, if not every, day we've been here and has always greeted us with a smile! I've heard her singing and whistling other times too.

The day the girls came to visit Daddy, she popped into the room and drew a cute "get well" picture on the (dry erase) cabinet door.

One morning, as she walked by the room she waved and I asked "are you ALWAYS here?" She said pretty much. I told her how much I appreciated how happy she always seemed and she admitted that it's not a "fun" job (duh!), but it pays the bills and she has certainly learned the benefit of making the best of things. She commented that at least she gets to interact with the patients, and she likes that.

What a great attitude! We hear so much about how unappreciative and "spoiled" today's young people are, and sadly, that seems true of so many of them. But here's a young (maybe mid-20s) woman, working a pretty gross job, and doing it with a smile and cheery word for everyone she meets!

I think we could all learn a thing or 2 from her :)


No comments: