Sunday, April 18, 2010

What We've Been Doing . . .

Obviously NOT blogging LOL. Rodney finally managed to figure out my computer issues, by completely rebuilding my computer, so I'm working on getting my links and everything set back up the way I like it LOL.

So, in no particular order . . . things we've been doing . . .

  • Gardening: The girls got gardening tools & seeds & such for their birthday, so we've been figuring out our gardening for this summer. My parents were here last week and helped. We (and by we, I mean the girls & my mom LOL) have peas, lettuce & radishes in. Plus I got catnip & catmint for the kittens (have I mentioned the kittens yet?), and some calendula. We're also adding a new flowerbed where we'll plant some mixed flowers along with lavender & rosemary.
  • Philladelphia: While my parents were here, we spent a day in Philadelphia. We went to the Mint, as well as the historic area. The Mint was abit of a disappointment, it's so automated that you can't see much. The historic district was better. The girls found a wonderfully helpful ranger at the Liberty Bell who took time to explain to them how it got cracked, etc. And was impressed with their understanding of history. He was very surprised that they knew the first president was George Washington, and gave them each a George Washington "trading card" as a result. We chose not to take the Independence Hall tour because there was a large school group going through at the time we had tickets for, and we figured the girls wouldn't be able to see or hear enough to enjoy it with all those teenagers.
  • Valley Forge: Another day of my parents' visit, we spent at Valley Forge. The girls were old enough now to be fascinated by the museum there (cooking utensils, etc that would have been used at Valley Forge). We bought a CD that was a driving tour of Valley Forge (there's a free cell phone tour, but we figured that would be hard to use with all of us) and it was very well done. Informative but at a level the girls could understand. They had great fun climbing on the cannons & being "redcoats". One girl would be on the cannon (because cannons are, of course shot while sitting on TOP of them, LOL) and the other would go down the hill a ways and run toward the cannon. When girl on cannon shouted "bang", the "redcoat" would fall over dead. One of the activities for the Junior Ranger program was to keep count of how many deer we saw. I wasn't expecting much, but we saw over75 deer!!! I stopped counting at some point & would just estimate that the herd across the field was around 10, or whatever, so 75 is probably low . . . We also saw a red fox, much better than I've ever seen one in the wild! It was running across a field and we were able to park and watch as it ran along, stopped to pounce on some critter, play with said critter briefly, and keep running. So cool! By the time we'd finished our driving tour, the visitor center was closed, so we'll have to go back another time and actually GET the girls' Junior Ranger badges and certificates.
  • Kittens!!! When we visited my parents for Easter, my brother & his girlfriend had kittens who were ready to leave their mommy. So after much discussion, we decided to let the big girls each choose a kitten. So now Socks and Moccasins have joined our family. I must say it's beyond adorable to see how baby kittens and Baby Little Bit interact. They're so curious about each other, very cute!
And I'm sure there's more, but I better get this posted while I can.

No comments: