Friday, May 22, 2009

Not Keeping Up So Well . . .

I just realized I haven't posted in awhile. . . life's been busy LOL.

We decided kind of last minute to go to my parents (the girls & I, hubby's in Pittsburg for work) this weekend. We decided this on Tues. evening. At bedtime that night I noticed that one of A's eyelids looked swollen. She said it didn't hurt or itch, and her eye itself looked fine, so we decided to wait & see what it looked like in the morning. In the morning it was so swollen she could hardly open her eye. Still didn't hurt or itch, just "felt weird" (which makes total sense LOL). So we went to the doctor. She figures it was a spider bite (said they often don't have a "spot" where the bite actually is, like other bug bites) and said to do eyebright (an herb) compresses and because her eye was a little bloodshot(I think she'd just been rubbing it some from it feeling "wierd") to also get the Similasan pink eye eye drops (Similasan is a homeopathic brand of eye drops, they have a whole bunch of different ones for allergies, etc, that is available in normal drug stores & such. Geat stuff!). So we headed for the health food store. Can I just pause a moment to sing the praises of the staff at the Douglasville Kimberton Whole Foods store! We've only been there once or twice before today. But as we walked through the store one of the clerks stopped and came over to see the baby, she remembered the girls from last time we were there, when they'd chattered away about how mommy was having a baby soon, so she asked them all about how they were enjoying their new baby sister, etc. So friendly & rather impressive that she remembered us (though the girls WERE in a super chatty mood that last time, so no doubt they made an impression LOL). And then, when I couldn't find the eyebright tea, I asked the other clerk. They didn't have any, though she said they could probably order it (not what I needed this time, since I needed it for A's eye NOW), so we talked about other options for the compress. All they had was a tincture, and we figured the alcohol would burn if it got in A's eye. Then when I mentioned that I go past a 2nd health food store on my way home & would just look there, she offered to call them for me to see if they had what I needed. I thought that was SO sweet of her, and potentially saved me dragging 3 kids into a 2nd store for no reason. They didn't have the tea either, but did have ONE bottle of eyebright capsules so we got that & just opened a capsule & mixed it with water to make the compresses.

So . . . that took up a good part of Wed.

Oh and to add to the fun this week, a bird (or birds, I haven't "caught" them at it yet) has decided my clothesline is a great place to perch, and poop . . . so I've had to rewash a bunch of stuff that got pooped on (Wed I hung stuff inside even though it was a GORGEOUS day, because I wasn't about to risk having to rewash AGAIN when I was trying to get ready to be gone. That evening hubby pointed out that I could hang stuff on one of my "backup" clotheslines & the birds wouldn't likely bother it there (when we first moved here Dad put up a clothesline by the basement door (just attached a rope to a tree & the side of the house), but it wasn't big enough especially once I knew a baby (and therefore diaper-laundry) was coming, so later Dad put up a pulley one in the front yard. AND I also had Dad put up a small, removeable one on the porch for hanging a few things on rainy days. I use the pulley one 95% of the time, and just use the others for overflow (or sometimes hang stuff on the porch on rainy days but it won't hold a full load so usually don't bother), it's the pulley one the birds have discovered. . . So yesterday I hung stuff on the clothesline by the basement door. I think the problem w/ the pulley one & the birds are that I hang stuff on the "bottom" rope & the birds have decided the top one is a good perch (doesn't help that there's a birdhouse right next to the clothesline LOL) so I think I might try hanging stuff on the top rope for awhile (will be abit more of a pain since stuff may be more likely to wrap around the 2 ropes together & such) so that the birds don't have a "perch". . .

So that's been my week. But I'm caught up on laundry, taking the dirty diapers w/ me to my parents' to wash (I wash every 2-3 days, but had this week all figured out to wash Sun, Wed, and Fri (thus having clean dipes for Sabbath). Which meant when we decided Tues night to leave this morning, I still HAD to wash dipes on Wed. Didn't want to leave a day & a half's worth of dirty dipes to sit till we get home, and didn't really want to do a small load yesterday afternoon, so we'll just take them w/ us & wash them this afternoon), even managed to clean out the car (thanks to the girls' HUGE help of walking Little Bit around the driveway in the stroller so she'd nap!). AND I went shoe shopping yesterday. Hubby's boss is retiring & they're having a formal retirement dinner next week. I'd heard about it awhile ago but hadn't heard dates (or remembered them anyway) so didn't think it all through till this week. I ordered a dress online, but would rather be able to try shoes on. Since my "church shoes" are canvas mary janes I figure I should probably have something fancier than that. and my feet have grown so trying to make do w/ something from several years ago isn't going to work. I have a mall gift card so wanted to at least LOOK at the mall here & see if they had what I wanted. They had a pair that I like the look of but were very uncomfortable. So I'm going to check the outlets near my parents' house & if I can't find anything else I'll go back to the mall next Tues whenwe get home.. . .

So . . . that's what we've been up to. Now I'm waiting for the girls to wake up (Little Bit woke up fussy (gassy & poopy) at 5am, so I brought her down here so her crying wouldn't wake the girls. Now she's asleep on the Boppy but I figure if I try to go back to sleep the big girls will get up LOL.) and then we'll load the last minute stuff in the car & head out.

No comments: