Saturday, December 5, 2009

Thanksgiving and such . . .

These last couple weeks have been way too busy for my liking. What WAS I thinking having a December wedding 12 years ago? Maybe I need to talk to dh about changing our anniversary to July LOL. Anyway . . . first we'll talk about Thanksgiving . . .

We had a relaxed Thanksgiving at my parents' house. Lots of yummy food (we celebrated Dad's birthday (belated) while we were there too, with his (and my) favorite meal, a German/Russian dish my Great Grandmother used to make, called Cheese Dumplings), the girls did lots of bike riding on my parents' relatively flat slab and driveway (our driveway & the private road we live on is so steep that it's hard for them to do any biking here) A1 has been hesitant about riding her bike down the slight hills on my grandparents' driveway in the past, but she got over it this trip and had great fun riding back and forth between my parents' house and my grandparents'.

The big girls had been planning for a month or more a "Thanksgiving Party" during our craft time they had made placemats for everyone, baskets to hold the napkins and salt shakers, and had also made pilgrim bonnets and Indian head-dresses. They put on a "play", planned games, and gave a "speech" after dinner. Grandpa got quite a kick out of A1's phonetic spelling on the program she handed out, but it was pretty good for doing it all on her own, if you ask me. If I can figure out where her "speech" ended up, I'll post it here, it's quite cute, if I do say so myself.

When we'd been there a couple weeks earlier, Mom had taught A2 to sew buttons on, and gave her a small scrap of fabric to make a "quilt" for her doll, Sarah. A2 sewed several buttons on the fabric in an "M" pattern (not sure why) and then hand-stitched ribbon around the outside. It turned out pretty cute, and she was very proud of her handiwork.

The girls and I also visited some friends from when we lived in MD. The big girls had great fun playing with their friends while I got to visit with Laura and meet new baby Kristofer.

No comments: