Thursday, February 28, 2013

Recipe: Quinoa Pilaf

I like quick meals, and even when I start with a recipe, I tend to modify it as I go. So Quinoa Pilaf is just my style. I don't remember where I first saw the "recipe", but, I just kind of got an "idea" from it, and then did my own thing.

Quinoa pilaf is never exactly the same, but I thought I'd share how I happened to make it last week, and some additional ideas.  One thing I love about quinoa is that it cooks more quickly than other "healthy" grains (like brown rice), and it's high in protein, which helps you feel full longer. So, I'm not going to give amounts, per se, but here's what you need:

uncooked quinoa (1 or 2 cups)
water or broth for cooking the quinoa
onion, chopped
any veggies that need using (celery, bell pepper, carrots, etc), chopped
canned corn and or frozen peas if you don't have enough other veggies
some type of legume (black beans, chick peas, kidney beans, lentils . . ), rinsed and drained
fresh or dry herbs or spices

Start by getting the quinoa cooking, follow the package directions. Cook in plain water, or, for more flavor, use vegetable broth (or, I suppose, chicken broth, but I'm vegetarian). While the quinoa cookes, start sauteeing the onions and other veggies. Once they are well cooked, add the canned veggies and beans (the above picture has canned corn, black-eyed peas, onions, and I don't remember what else . . .).  by this time, the quinoa is probably done, so stir it in. Add any herbs or spices. Taco seasoning, or italian seasoning or whatever strikes your fancy. Also, if I have fresh herbs, I add them. This one had some cilantro I had in the fridge. I add fresh herbs at the end so they just get "wilted". I also sometimes add scrambled eggs.

And that's it, just serve and eat! I made this for lunch, served Little Bit a small bowl of it (she tends to eat "snacks" all day, so only eats a little at mealtimes) and myself a not, huge serving, and by the time I ate that, here's what was left. Sassy and MiniMe had devoured the whole pan!

So there you have it, a great way to clean out the fridge, that's healthy, quick and easy, and at least MY kids devour it, what more can you ask for? :)


1 comment:

Milk and Honey Mommy said...

Sweatpeas,

This recipe is on my list for lunch next week. I am a measurement girl, so I'll have to try to figure that out. At least this recipe looks like it shouldn't be too difficult. Thank you for sharing it.