Friday, September 2, 2011

Homeschool Review: Nature Nuts

Photobucket

It seems like I was just writing my last review for the TOS Crew for last year, but then I blinked and now it's time to write my first review for this year's crew. And it's shaping up to be such a fun year on the crew! Our first review product this year was a fun nature game from Griddly Games. We received the Nature Nuts Travel Game and Extension Pack
Photobucket

This is such a versatile nature trivia game. It can be used on it's own, either at home or on the go. There's no game board to make it more compact to take along. In addition, if you have the Wise Alec Family Trivia Game, the Nature Nuts game can be used as to add more questions to that game.  The Nature Nuts game says it's for 2-4 players, but when used on it's own, it really could be used with as many players as you want. There are no game pieces or anything, just the question cards and a die. Each player keeps track of points to determine the winner.  We don't own the main Wise Alec game, so that may be where the limit of 4 players comes in? The stated age range is 8+.  My 8 year olds definitely find it challenging, and even dh and I don't always know the answers. There are a LOT of cards too, and 2 questions per card, so it would take a long time to memorize all the answers. I think, while Little Bit may end up playing with us when she's younger than 8, so far we've played it during her nap or when she's otherwise occupied, I wouldn't purchase it specifically for anyone younger than 8. It does suggest, when playing with a wide age range to set different "winner" levels for different ages, so families with younger children who want to play with their older siblings, that would be an option.  Wise Alec, Nature Nuts retails for around $14.99. You can view a list of retailers here (note that this is a list of retailers for Griddly Games products in general, of the online retailers I checked (not all of them) amazon was the only retailer that carried Nature Nuts specifically.

Photobucket

I already mentioned that the Nature Nuts game can be used as an extension pack for the Wise Alec Family Trivia Game. There is also a history extension, and a sports extension. You can see some of my fellow crew mates' reviews of the history extension on the TOS Crew blog Linky. Griddly Games also provides a variety of other games for the family.

We have really enjoyed this game, and I forsee us pulling it out to play often, though, as mentioned, Little Bit is too young, so we tend to reach for it when she has something else to keep her occupied. We all learn more about nature when we play it, and it's easy to take with us when we travel. My girls most enjoy the "Wise Alec" cards, that can be anything from a (generally) easier nature question (name 3 breeds of dogs), to lose a turn (boo!), to fun things like "stand on one leg for 30 seconds" or "make your silliest face". I would highly recommend this game to families that enjoy trivia-type games, whether they homeschool or just want something fun to do on the weekends.

Disclaimer: I received the above mentioned product in exchange for writing an unbiased review. No other compensation was received and all opinions are my own.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

My kiddos would probably enjoy the silly questions, too.

FlyLady Di said...

I really like this game, too. I can't wait to see more of the "Wise Alec" questions... (I'm forcing myself not to peek!)

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!

You and I live somewhat near each other, cause you are blogging about the same field trips I have done or have plans for!