Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Recipe: Orange Cream Kefir Popsicles

Last week I shared how we make milk kefir, and promised that I'd add some of the ways we use that kefir soon, so here's what I do most often. Why? Because it's quick and easy and Little Bit loves them! The big girls aren't as impressed with these, but the things they like involve the blenders and such, so this is still my go-to recipe :)

You will need:

-  finished milk kefir
-  frozen orange juice concentrate
-  stevia drops (plain, vanilla, or orange flavor)
-  popsicle molds (I LOVE these)
- plastic or wood spoon

Now you're ready to get started. Honestly, I'm not sure if, at this point, the whole "no metal" thing matters, but just in case, I go ahead and use a plastic spoon to stir this.

This is very much a "to taste" kind of recipe. I start by adding a couple big spoonfuls of orange juice concentrate and a few drops of stevia to the kefir, stir it all up, taste it, and add more orange juice concentrate and/or stevia until it tastes yummy!

If Little Bit's around I let her do the taste testing, and usually give her at least one glass as a "milkshake" (that's the jar (we use those for cups) and straw in the above picture), the rest gets poured into popsicle molds and frozen.

I've found that it works best to put the popsicles in a glass mug in the freezer, it keeps them upright until they're frozen, and the glass seems to help them freeze (I tried putting them in a sour cream container one time and the plastic seemed to keep them from freezing as fast, but that might have been all in my head).

Once they're frozen, Little Bit happily eats 2-4 per day and I'm thrilled to know she's getting plenty of great probiotics without any added "gunk", or the expense of store bought kefir and/or popsicles :)





1 comment:

Gail @ http://biblelovenotes.com said...

These look so healthy, and I love kefir. Definitely worth a try. Thanks for testing them and for the recipe.
Bless you.