Thursday, January 12, 2012

How to Have a H.E.A.R.T. for Your Kids - Introduction

How To Have a HEART for Your Kids

As I mentioned last week, I decided to join an online "book club" reading How to Have a H.E.A.R.T. for Your Kids by Rachael Carman. This week on Monday we were supposed to post our blog post about the Introduction, but Amazon was slower than usual in shipping my book to me, so I didn't receive it until a couple days ago. So I'm running a few days late :) 

The introduction is, for the most part, Rachael's "history" of how she and her husband decided to homeschool. Or perhaps more accurately, how God dragged them into homeschooling, kicking and screaming :) While I can't relate to her original aversion to homeschooling, I did relate to many things in her introduction. Here are some of my favorite quotes:

  • homeschool is more than an educational choice -- it's a lifestyle.
  • Relax and read to your kids.
  • I had a plan for [my children] to make me look good, but I had not considered what God's plan might be for their lives.
I have to admit that I often (almost always) skip the introduction when I read books, or at best, skim it. I'm glad I took the time to read this one, it has me chomping at the bit to jump into the first chapter (which I plan to do during Little Bit's nap this afternoon, or perhaps before I go to bed tonight, we shall see how things pan out. . . fitting reading time in can be challenging, since I suspect it is very much NOT having a H.E.A.R.T. for my children if I were to tell them, go fend for yourselves, Mommy wants to read!!

  

No comments: