Sunday, January 1, 2012

Weekly Wrap-Up: Happy 2012!!!!

I suppose this is the time of year when I'm supposed to write some lovely insightful, philosophical post about a fresh new start and all that, but I'm not so into New Years so . . . I'll just say "Happy New Years!!" and leave it at that LOL. When we were at Mt Vernon last month one of the "interpreters" there was talking about how New Years as a holiday didn't really exist yet in George Washington's time because America had just recently switched from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar. On the Julian calendar the new year started in the spring, with the new growth and all that and it really hit me how much more LOGICAL that would be than to start a new year in the dead of winter, so maybe that's why I don't like New Years, but anyway . . .

We had a good week last week. Of course we began the week with Christmas. Then we had our last couple of days of Hanukkah. It was nice to be able to focus on Hanukkah those last couple of days instead of it kind of getting lost in the preparations for and then celebration of, Christmas.  Next year Hanukkah falls earlier in December and I think I'll like that better.

But anyway, Hanukkah was fun. We made latkes one night, they weren't as hard as I thought they might be, and the girls LOVED them, so I think we'll have them more often.

We've been enjoying learning about the Revolutionary War this week, I have to admit, there are SOO many great books, that we'll be spending a few weeks on it, just so we can read all the books I want us to read. Plus, some of the books the girls got for Christmas are longer chapter books from this period in history so we are taking time to let them read those too.

Little Bit started her very own Kinderbach lessons this week too. The big girls and I reviewed it last year, but this year it's Little Bit's turn, so far she is LOVING it. I have no illusions that she'll "learn piano" from it, but she's having fun.

The weather has been amazingly sporatic, in the 20's one day and near 50 the next, but thankfully the precipitation has coincided with the warmer days so we've avoided snow. Yesterday was one of the warmer days AND rain free so we grabbed the chance and went to ZooAmerica. It was soo fun! Little Bit was really into it this time, and the big girls still enjoy learning more about animals.

I have to admit I was a bad mommy and didn't even tell the girls that last night was New Years Eve, I really had no interest in staying up till midnight, much less dealing with hyper children who thought they should get to stay up but were much too tired to really stay up, and then grouchy, overtired children today. So we didn't do anything to "celebrate" new years. The girls did complain this morning when they realized they'd missed "seeing the ball drop" but they got over it pretty quickly.

And now, on to 2012 . . .

No comments: