Thursday, July 14, 2011

Homeschool Review: Well Planned Day On the Go Planner

I was sent the downloadable version of the Well Planned Day On the Go Planner to review.

I've eyed the Well Planned Day Planner for the last couple of years, but always decided against it because of their size. I prefer something closer to a "half-size" planner, so that I can more easily fit it in my purse and take it with me.

So when I saw that this year they were adding an On the Go planner to their line, I was excited.

This is a very nice household planner in a compact size. It includes pages for managing your finances, house cleaning, lots of blank "note" pages, etc. I also really like the layout of the weekly calendar pages. It includes a "while we're out" column, which is something I was wishing for in my planner last year, so I love seeing that built into the planner.

That said, I'm not real sure what to do with this planner in a .pdf format. With the download information, it was mentioned that you can use the Adobe "tools" to add sticky notes, typwriter notes, etc. anywhere on the planner pages. I played with that a little bit, and it does work well, however since the planner doesn't include a "Table of Contents" you have to either remember what page number each thing is on, or go through the whole book to get to your current week. It's possible Adobe has a "bookmark" feature, but I didn't find it.

I was hopeful, since I personally was looking for a "paper" planner, but was sent the .pdf version to review, that there would be an easy way to print the planner. However, because the size of this planner is slightly larger than half size, it doesn't fit 2 pages per sheet of paper, so it would have to be printed and then trimmed to size. That's alot of wasted paper. I tried using the print settings to tell it to print 2 pages per sheet, but then the pages aren't ordered properly to be able to print 2 sided, so again, lots of waste, and added bulk to the planner if it's only printed one-sided.  So basically, by the time you consider paper and ink costs, plus extra time trimming pages and such, I really don't see any advantage to purchasing the .pdf version over the print version. And I personally don't find it easy enough to navigate on the screen to use it online. Plus, if I want a calendar on my computer, Google's works quite nicely and is accessible anywhere :)

So, my summary. LOVE the layout, will definitely consider purchasing the paper version next time I'm in the market for a new calendar/planner, but don't really see the usefulness of the .pdf version.

Disclaimer: I received the above mentioned product free of charge in exchange for writing an unbiased review. No other compensation was received and all opinions are my own.

No comments: