Friday, April 5, 2013

Recipe: Egg Salad

This is going to be another one of those "dump" recipes . . . but it's a favorite at our house, so I thought I'd include it. In fact, Little Bit has declared it "MY FAVORITE!" :)

You will need:
A bunch of boiled eggs, peeled
mayonnaise
salt
celery seed
tumeric
whatever other herbs or spices strike your fancy

Chopping eggs is a great thing to have little ones help with. Little Bit was soo excited to be able to help make the egg salad and feel like she was REALLY helping. I just gave her a butter knife and let her chop away, using the plastic lid of the bowl that I was making the salad in, as her "chopping board". So, get those little helpers into the kitchen (make sure to dress them in yellow, with a yellow apron so they coordinate with the egg salad LOL), and chop away. Yu want all the egg whites chopped pretty small. The yolks are going to end up mashing in with the mayo anyway, so they don't matter. Once the eggs are all chopped, add a generous spoonful of mayonnaise, and a shake of whatever herbs and spices you're using (I'm not sure tumeric adds much flavor, but it's healthy, and adds yellow color, so I always include it), stir it all together, taste it, and add more of whatever it needs.  You can add pickle relish, chopped celery, whatever else you like too (I once had it with carmelized onions, that was yummy, but I think my kids would object if I did it that way LOL).

Serve it in sandwiches, or wraps. When we have sandwiches and a green salad, I often skip the bread and just add a generous spoonful of egg salad instead of dressing on my green salad. And I must admit, today for lunch, there was a little bit left, and I was the only one home, so I just took a spoon and finished it up LOL.

So there you have it, quick, easy, tasty, and great for little ones to help make!

No comments: