Monday, August 12, 2013

Recipe: Delicious Tomato Soup

A few years ago when I got an abundance of tomatoes from someone, I made this tomato soup recipe.  MiniMe LOVED it, but it spoiled her for all other tomato soup LOL. Even when I found a yummy, not-condensed, organic canned soup on sale, she didn't like it, and just kept saying it wasn't as good as the one I'd made with fresh tomatoes.

So, when my neighbor gave me a bunch of tomatoes that needed to be used immediately, I decided it was time to bring out that recipe again. BUT . . . our kitchen is already the hottest part of our house (we don't have central air, so we put a window unit in the master bedroom (main floor) and one in the girls' room (upstairs). those 2, with fans blowing the cool air out of those rooms, keep the house comfortable, but the kitchen is out of the "air flow" so tends to be a tad warm even without adding heat. The last thing I wanted to do was have the stove on for THREE HOURS! So, after looking at various other tomato soup recipes online, I came up with this crockpot version:

10 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
3 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 tsp salt

While chopping the tomatoes, cook the onions in the butter. Put chopped tomatoes in your crockpot (aren't they pretty?).  Add cooked onions and butter, and salt, stir together, turn crockpot on high, and walk away.

Let cook about 3 hours, use an immersion blender to blend, and devour! That's it!!! Yum!!  

One note, even after blending there were some tomato seeds and tiny pieces of tomato skin. My kids didn't seem to notice/care, but if you, or your children, would have an issue with that, maybe push it through a sieve?

I'm linking up to Try a New Recipe Tuesday.


No comments: