Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A new years resolution

I'm not a fan of new years resolutions, I make "resolutions" when I find something in my life that needs changing, but I don't generally bother to sit & come up with some, that I'm likely not to keep, at the beginning of the new year. However, this is something I desperately need to work on, so I'm going to publicly state it as a resolution. I am GOING to drink more water!!!

This is one area where I was most definitely healthier pre-kids. When I worked in an office and sat at a desk all day, I found it easy to keep a large water bottle on my desk and drink it throughout the day. If I emptied it, I re-filled it. I drank alot of water consistently, so other then the initial "getting used to it" period, I wasn't running to the bathroom every 5 minutes.

I read somewhere that, rather than "just" 8 glasses of water a day (which, assuming an 8 oz glass is 64 oz), a person should drink a half an oz of water per day for every pound of body weight. So the 8 glasses recommendation would be fine for a person who weighs 128lbs but ummm . . . I weigh more then that (and that's as specific as I'm gonna get LOL).

But I also believe in "baby steps", so for the time being, here's what I'm going to do. I think our regular glasses are approx 16oz, but just to be safe, since I have pint jars in my cupboard for storing leftovers & such in anyway, I'm going to use a pint jar. I am going to drink 1 before breakfast, 1 before lunch, 1 before supper, and 1 at bedtime. Additionally, if I'm thirsty throughout the day, I will make a point of drinking to thirst. I'm also going to try to keep a filled Klean Kanteen in the car & drink it when we're out & about, once I'm consistently drinking the 64 oz I committed to above, I'll add additional "jar-fuls" at other intervals to get me up to the amount of water I actually SHOULD be drinking per day (and no, I'm not gonna get specific about that either LOL).

No comments: