Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Home Keeper's Journal - Service

This week's Home Keeper's Journal topic is service.
In my kitchen this week …. L has been cooking. She made cornmeal mush for breakfast one morning, has been cutting apples for snacks for her and her sisters, mastered the espresso maker, now I get my latte or mocha delivered to me during my morning Bible time . . . at least until the novelty wears off, hee hee.
Service is/is not something that is on my mind very much because … service is an on-going character discussion around here. A and L are entirely too concerned about making sure they don't do one iota more chores/helping than the other one, so we are constantly working on this character trait.
There are times when my service seems ….. hard to balance. . . does that sound strange? It comes back to the whole training my children concept, I have a hard time knowing where to draw the line between "modelling service" (by doing things for them cheerfully), and training them to serve others, by expecting them to cheerfully do chores, etc.
I know I serve others when I ….. stop worrying about whether others are noticing.
My service to others is most like Jesus when …. it is truly selfless.

No comments: