The rules are simple . . . post about something green . . . so many options . . .
I'm going to combine 2 green things, (and revisit a topic I posted about frequently when I first started this blog). So, today we're going to talk about Going Green While Saving Green (and improving your health too!)
So, I read a wide variety of blogs, websites, books, and message boards. Some deal with saving money, but too often this seems to be at the expense of health and environmental concerns . . . yes white flour is cheaper than whole wheat flour, but at what cost? Yes, you can "play the drug store game" and get laundry detergent and shampoo for free, but what are the chemicals in those products doing to your family's health, and the water supply as it all washes down the drain?
My goal, is to balance these things. To find ways to be healthier AND economical AND ecological! So here are ten tips (in no particular order):
- Make your own bread
- Use homemade natural cleaners
- Use cloth diapers
- Green-ify your laundry routine (natural cleansers, vinegar fabric softener, and hang dry)
- Grow a garden
- Throw out the soda and chips
- Replace paper towels and napkins with cloth
- Cook dry beans instead of using cans
- Use homemade, natural toiletries
- Pop popcorn in the stove or use an air popper instead of using microwave popcorn
So there are 10 of my "go green" tips! Check back over the next couple of months and I'll expound on each of these tips, and probably others as I think of them!
Have a great St. Patrick's Day!