Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal - 10

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

In my life this week... I'm slowly but surely continuing with the cleaning and decluttering, and getting ready for the girls' birthday this weekend.

In our homeschool this week... it was kind of a "bare minimum" week, but we've kept up with Spanish, and squeezed in a week of Kinderbach, a couple days of Bible, and finally finished off The Story of the World Vol II

Places we're going and people we're seeing... we started the week at my parents' house, visiting them, my grandparents, and my aunt, uncle & cousin, who'd come to visit for the weekend. We're finishing off the week with my parents visiting us for the girls' birthday. We assumed that some additional family would come for their birthday, so planned it here. If we'd known for sure that it was just going to be my parents, we would have moved the party down to their house last weekend and called it good, oh well . . . this way we see them more!

My favorite thing this week was... watching my 95 yr old grandpa enjoying watching Little Bit with their kittens. She'd hold the kitten on her lap for a few seconds, then set it on the floor and say "run!!!" then chase after it, catch it, carry it back to the living room, sit down and hold it for a few seconds, then do it all again. It was fun to watch her, and even more fun to see how much Grandpa was enjoying it.

What's working/not working for us... MORE cold weather and snow is NOT working for us right now. It's been too cold and snowy a winter, and then we got some beautiful, warmer weather and now we're back to cold and snow or threat of snow (thankfully no accumulating snow so far, fingers crossed . . .) and we are SO SO SO ready for spring to be here to stay thankyouverymuch!

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have... I wish there was a good way to get the message out to more parents that homeschool includes ENDLESS options. It makes me sad when I hear parents talk about how they could never homeschool because their child is the wrong personality or they are the wrong personality, etc etc etc. I wish I could explain to them, in a way that they understood, that homeschooling is SO flexible, it can adapt to accomodate all personality types and learning styles and teaching styles, and that's one of it's beauties. I'm so thankful that I started researching homeschooling when my children were young, and learned about all the options before I "dove in" with a school-at-home mindset, which was what I, too assumed homeschool had to be.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share...

Visit The Homeschool Chick to see other homeschool mothers' journals.


No comments: