Sunday, July 20, 2008

This Week's Wrap-up

This was a week of berry picking. The wild raspberry plants on our property are doing great! It appears we can go every 2-3 days and come back with a good haul. Friday afternoon we picked a quart & a half (at least I think that's the size corningware I filled w/ the berries when I got home) and would have probably been close to 2 quarts if A hadn't eaten most of hers LOL.

We also put up our toad house & A was thrilled to find a frog (or probably a toad, I didn't see it) in it one morning when she went out to add water to the dish. We found a toad in the yard yesterday too, and the girls took it over & put it in the toad house. Not sure it appreciated being transplanted, but oh well . . .

For the weather section of our Nature Notebooks we made windsocks. I wasn't too impressed w/ the directions, but they sort of work. I could get them to catch wind, but the girls couldn't (but it was a pretty still day), we'll try again on a windy day.

A is very into the wool stuff we're doing. We teased the wool, talked about carding wool (I know I bought 2 wire dog brushes (before we moved) to use for carding the wool but I can't find them, so we just talked about it). And we tried our hardest to use the drop spindles that Papa was kind enough to make for us but I couldn't figure out how to make them work. So, we abandoned our wool and jumped to purchased wool yarn. The girls really enjoyed winding the wool & each of them wound a whole skein in one sitting. I have to admit, I found it rather addicting too (but I only had 2 skeins of wool yarn so I wound a small skein of cotton yarn, I was amazed at how much more . . . I'm not sure how to describe it, just warmer somehow . . . the wool yarn was, compared to the cotton.

No comments: