Monday, May 2, 2011

Overnight Granola


I love granola. And I love the convenience of dumping some in a bowl with milk and calling it breakfast. BUT I don't love the price or ingredients of most store-bought granola. And I found with most "normal" granola recipes, I would get busy and forget to stir it, and it would burn. Or I would never get around to making it because it requires a day when I'm home all day to actually be there TO stir it as needed . . . then I came across this recipe. Finally, a recipe that doesn't require babysitting! I can throw this together at bedtime if need-be, though I typically try to have the older girls make it after supper.

Here's the recipe with my changes.
1/2 c Sucanat
1/2 c coconut oil or butter, or a combination
1/2 c honey or maple syrup, or a combination
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract
7 c oats (or replace some of the oats with seeds, nuts, etc. . . whatever you like in your granola)

Combine sweetners and oil(s) in a small saucepan. Bring to a low boil. Remove from heat and stir in cinnamon and vanilla. Pour over oats and add-ins in a large bowl, stir until well coated. Spread into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 375 for 10 min. Stir. Return to oven, TURN OVEN OFF! Leave in oven overnight.  In the morning, break up chunks, stir in mini chocolate chips and/or dried fruit. Store in an air-tight container.

No comments: