Friday, June 13, 2008

Testing my Creativity . . .

Sigh, these children and their ongoing imaginary games are going to be the death of me! I am NOT a creative person. I have no idea where my children got their creativity/imagination because it certainly wasn't from me (or dh, for that matter). . .

So this afternoon A asked me if we could do circle time, I was in the middle of something, then I forgot . . . and awhile later she asked again, so we did a couple chores I was in the middle of and we went upstairs for circle time. I have to admit I was preoccupied as we got upstairs and I was looking for stuff & such, not listening to the kids talking to each other. So I got situated, L was there, A said something (I thought) about being thirsty and went downstairs & I heard her getting a drink, and assumed then she would come back up. Then L told me "A isn't coming back up, it's part of our game" Huh? So I called A up and determined that they were in the midst of an imaginary game where A was L's big sister (or auntie, I've heard her called both during this game) and she had dropped L off at "baby class" while she went to work. So we talked about how we could change things up so that they could continue the game but A could still be a part of circle time . . . I finally pointed out that I've heard them play games before where A plays more than one parts (I'll hear L ask "Auntie" if she can go play w/ "A" and then A morphs into . . . herself and they play together), so we decided that A could be "Matilda" the new student in our class. . . it worked well, and apparently Matilda will be a permanent part of circle time for the foreseeable future.

No comments: