Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday - Xpenser


Last time I actually wrote a post for a non-themed Works-for-me Wednesday I told you about Jott.com I'm still loving it's convenience!!

And one way it's convenient is helping me with budgeting. Xpenser.com is another free program that I found through Jott. Xpenser lets you set up various reports. To record your expenses. I have mine set up so that the default report is the current month, and I linked my xpenser account to Jott. So when I get done grocery shopping, for example, I can call Jott, say I want to Jott to Xpenser and then leave a message like this: Groceries $10 Giant and it automatically adds an entry to my Xpenser report using that day's date, the category Groceries, amount $10 and whatever else I say goes in the notes section (in the above example, the name of the grocery store). I also will mention in the notes which cc, if any, I used or anything else relevant. Jott also leaves me an e-mail reminding me that I Jotted to Xpenser so I can make sure the voice recognition understood all the words or add additional details if I want. Then at the end of the month I set up a new report for the new month and set it as the default report and export the previous month's report into excel to sort by category & such, so I have record of what our spending is. Having an instant way to record each expenditure instead of trying to keep track of receipts to record later works for me!

Check out Rocks In Your Dryer for more Works for Me Wednesday posts.

No comments: