Thursday, November 8, 2007

Book Review: Power of a Praying Wife

Last night I finished reading The Power of a Praying Wife.

I would highly recommend this to any wife who would like to improve her prayer life and relationship with both God and her husband. The book is laid out with an "introduction" and then 30 chapters, each focusing on a different area of a husband's life in which he needs prayers. Some examples include, finances, friends, fears . . .

It talks about why/how a wife can pray for this area of her husband's life, usually including real life examples of women praying for this area of their husbands' lives and the results. Then gives a sample prayer for that "prayer focus" and ends with some Bible texts (in addition to those scattered throughout the discussion and prayer) related to that topic. The introduction suggests focusing on one chapter/prayer per day for a month.

I started right after our Indiana trip (took the book along to read on the trip, but then after reading the introduction, realized that it was something to use at home during my devotional time instead), and chose not to take it with me on our trip to Disney, so finished the 30th chapter last night. It really helped me to have a particular focus in my prayers each night in addition to that day's concerns and praises. I plan to continue using the 30 prayer focuses each month, using the "sample prayers" some of the time and just my own words other times.

The same author has also written The Power of a Praying Parent and The Power of a Praying Woman both of which I plan to get and use in the near future, either from half.com or the library.

No comments: