Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I think I invented a new cake . . .

Yesterday I needed to make Christmas cookies (or some type of "goody") to take to the babywearing meeting we went to today. I was planning on doing my grocery shopping today & since most Christmas cookies call for things I don't generally keep on hand, that somewhat limited my choices. But I had everything for a sugar cookie recipe that someone on a message board had sworn was a wonderful, easy to use sugar cookie recipe, so that sounded good, we were just going to roll them in colored sugar (rather than rolling them out & all), so it all sounded relatively easy. Girls were helping me, it was late in the day, as I measured stuff out for them to pour in I thought it seemed like alot of oil, but I seriously haven't made cookies anything like sugar cookies since last Christmas, and did I mention I was in a hurry, and the girls don't take well to mommy stopping mid-cookie making & going hunting for another recipe to see if the one she has seems reasonable . . . and it was a split second as they were pouring it in anyway . . . so whatever . . . we got everything added and ummm . .. we had batter! Seriously, I added some more flour, but it still was nowhere near "roll it into balls & roll them in colored sugar" consistency. So I grabbed a couple 8x8 pans, and poured it into them & put them into the oven, checked them periodically, started at the temp the recipe called for, but when the top seemed to be browning too fast, I turned it not as hot, kept checking it. No idea how long I baked it at, and it was a range of temperatures as I kept trying to get the middle done before the top burned, but somehow or other, I was successful. I ended up with cake. I cut it all into pieces since I was actually expecting the center of each one to be gooey, and figured I'd just throw those pieces out & use what was usable, but it was baked all the way to the center, and people seemed to like it today (and there were other cookies & such there to choose from LOL). And actually, I'm not a huge cake fan (ok, I pretty much eat the cake for the frosting, and I didn't put frosting on this, just the colored sugar) but I have to say, this has enough cookie taste to it, that I like it better than most cake LOL. Doubt I'll ever attempt to recreate it, but it's not half bad . . .

No comments: